I know I know - this step came out over a week ago and has since been replaced with step 7! The delay in posting and completing this step is partially due to all the re-organising and spring cleaning I've been doing and partially being unsure how to proceed knowing I wanted to make the quilt a bit longer and not wanting to wait til the end to make extra units.
Step 6 added to my suspicions about the possible layout. I can now post these because Bonnie has revealed the block in step 7.
These were my suspicions (which I'm very pleased to say were correct!):
The first part of Step 6 has us stitching last week's HSTs into strips of 5. I think I'm seeing a pattern emerging which is giving me a clue as to how many extra units to make. If 4 strips of these HSTs make sashing or borders for one block, it makes 30 blocks.
Step 4 has us making 30 sets, the other HSTs in step 2 are also divisible by 30 - again 4 per block.
The 60 string blocks from step 3? 2 per pieced block? Perhaps cut in half diagonally and used to set the pieced block on point??
So...IF we are indeed having 30 blocks it would make sense that they might be set 5 across and 6 down to vaguely resemble the rectangular queen sized quilt Bonnie has in mind.
This still doesn't factor in the units from Step 1 which in step 6 require triangles added on the ends to make parallelograms. They just don't seem to fit in anywhere!
I decided to trust my guess and make enough units for an extra 5 blocks from the units that give me a clue as to what's going on and I'll wait and see as to the rest. I needed 5 more sets of Step 4 and 100 more HSTs from Step 5. I already made enough extra Step 2s.
I wont make any extra Step 1s til I see the border design altho I think from memory there are a few extra.
So...here is what part 1of step 6 looks like: (I haven't sewn them togeter since I'm still pressing and trimming)
And part 2: (haven't sewn them til I know how many to make but I did cut pieces)