The class went really well!
There were 2 other ladies doing Lizzy Mae and a third working on a different quilt.
I'm not sure what amused Lorraine more - my copious use of Micropore or the bias stems disaster!
Anyway the first thing I learned was how to use one of those bias tape makers! It was a somewhat hairy experience but it worked! I've always wanted to learn how to do that! It made perfect stems that could be fused in place!
Lorraine uses modern quilting aids to achieve the look of traditional quilts in a fast and simple way!
The next thing I learned was how to use freezer paper for needleturn applique. I must say it does give much nicer sweeping curves than when I do it without paper buuuut...slashing the back of the block to get the paper out is slightly nervewracking!!
The best news is that I got to enjoy the class because my wrist hardly hurt at all! The down side is the antibiotics make me feel sick and dizzy.
As always I left Lorraine's shop with some supplies in tow. Yesterday's haul consisted of Thread Heaven, cuuute pink embroidery scissors and some long, thin applique needles with tiny eyes. These come recommended by Lorraine and despite the teeny eye, they were lovely to work with.
I like the length and they're very sharp so I didn't need to use brute force to get them through the fabric which is also a blessing for dodgy hands. The only downside to the sharpness, length and thinness is that one of these babies can disappear into the fleshy part of your hand at least to the halfway mark before you even notice!
That could be because of the lack of sensation in many areas of my "poor hand" as DS calls it but it did mean I have something to gross the boys out with rather than the other way around!
Last night for "homework" I ironed on and cut out all the applique pieces. Here is what they look like laid out - a little messy and shapeless because the seam allowance hasn't been folded over yet!